Choosing the Right Size Shipping Container
Getting the right size shipping container can help you avoid a bunch of hassles down the road. If you don't choose the right size container you may have to spend your own time and money selling your current container, as well as buying a new one. If you aren't sure what size container will work best for your needs, it's always a smart move to choose the larger shipping container. By going with a larger unit you give yourself much more flexibility, for just a small increase in price. Here is a general guide to help you choose the right sized shipping container for your needs:
- 10 Ft Shipping Containers - These can store about the same as a studio apartment, or a small one bedroom apartment.
- 20 Ft Shipping Containers - This is about the same size as a standard one car garage.
- 40 Ft Shipping Containers - Roughly the same size as a standard two car garage, these are often used to store construction equipment, and sports equipment.
Here are a few other things to keep in mind when deciding on what size shipping container to get:
- How Long Will You Keep It? - if you are only going to rent a shipping container for a few months, then you probably have a good idea of exactly what you will be storing. If you are buying or leasing a shipping container for a long period of time then getting a larger size is important. Shipping containers have a way of filling up quickly, and most customers underestimate just how much stuff they end up keeping in storage.
- What Are You Storing? - Many customers just assume that they can go with the smallest size container and just pile everything up on top of everything else. This works in some cases, but often times people are storing fragile things, and it's just not practical. One of the benefits of choosing on-site storage is that you have easy access to your things, which isn't the case if you just pack everything into a container.