Shipping Container Tips
If you haven't rented or purchased a shipping container before, you probably have a lot of questions and need some assistance helping you select the right one for your needs. There are many factors to consider when getting a shipping container, but most customers are typically concerned with the size of the shipping container, and how much it costs. Here are some things you need to take into consideration when you're getting a shipping container:
- Size - Most shipping containers are 8 ft wide, 9 ft high and either 20 ft or 40 ft. long. You will also find that there are high-cube shipping containers (9.5 feet high), and 45', 30', and 10' long shipping containers, although they are harder to find. Before you choose a size, you need to measure the space where you will be storing the container in order to make sure it fits. A good rule of thumb is to leave room for 5 feet of extra space on each side. For more information about sizes check out tips for choosing the right size.
- New Vs. Used - Prices between new and used shipping containers don't vary as much as one would think, but you can save a few hundred (sometimes thousand) dollars by purchasing a used shipping container. Purchasing a used container will require more time and effort on your part, and it's a good idea to check out our guide on used shipping containers if you are looking to buy a used container.
- Compare Prices - Container inventory, as well as prices change frequently. Many companies will also price match their competitors (many will beat their competitor's price by up to 20%). This is the most important tip for getting the lowest price on a container.
- Ask About Delivery Fees - Some companies will deliver the shipping container for free, while others will charge a few hundred or even thousands of dollars. Finding a local supplier will definitely keep delivery costs down, but it's always a good idea to ask a few companies.
- Container Features - There are a ton of optional features that can come with shipping containers, such as ventilation systems, racks, ramps and more.
These are just some of the main concerns/tips to help customers who are looking for shipping containers. You'll find more information and tips on the left hand side of the page.